9 February 2012

WORKING 9 'TIL 5 - DAY 40


Once upon a time I lived as a single, white, obese foreigner in Tokyo. That in itself is a story which needs to be remembered in ink, but today I want to talk about other things. You see, it was the only job I ever held that I found mildly gratifying. I was certainly proud of the fact I was translating miniature drawings into reasonably coherent Engrish sentences but what really satisfied me was my ability to covertly amuse myself by writing funny stories into the above mentioned translations. It was a genius plan whereby I worked at 40% capacity for the JAL Foundation; just enough to keep them happy, whilst the rest of my efforts were injected into doing what made my heart sing, writing. Naturally I drew inspiration from those around me and I quickly realised that all one needs to while away the hours is a drop of imagination mixed with a hint of erratic human behaviour.

Fast forward 10 years and I find myself in yet another job that isn’t really me, stuck in some mini dress rehearsal ground hog day until I discover what I really want to do when I grow up.  I am not quite sure where I went wrong. True, it is all life experience and I have learnt skills that will never go astray. One day a role that requires a multi-lingual, intermediate PowerPoint whiz kid meets coffee machine extraordinaire will just fall in my lap. I have probably increased my level of effort to a steady 50% with the occasional spike of 65% prior to a deadline. My colleague aptly noted the other day that I am somewhat vague at times. “Nope, that is just sheer disinterest” I replied. Truth be told, I would much rather watch the paint dry on our neighbourhood brothel.  Interestingly enough, they have actually painted over the windows in the same dreary grey they have used for the walls. Browsing their website for updated photos I noticed that they only employ ‘ladies’, and yes, I use the term loosely, between the ages of 18 and 30. Realising I had missed the boat by 2 years, I shut down the site and returned to my presentation. I suspect that any role becomes tedious after a while and even David Attenborough would have his moments where he wants to swap yet another pile of guano for a desk job.

On another note, our accountant has been rather sleepy of late and I have caught him on more than one occasion catching a bit of shuteye around the office. It wouldn’t be such a problem if our bills were paid on time. Instead they seem to get trapped in the Bermuda Triangle of paperwork, whereby everything goes unpaid by default until you chase him 3 times, after which the invoice will find its way back to the original owner. A confused state erupts as one then tries to remember what service they actually commissioned 6 months prior. Baffled faces are a common occurrence around the traps until they fade into a knowing smile, the black hole strikes again.  I suppose all those mind numbing calculations would challenge anyone’s attention span. I on the other hand, like to imagine he has a drinking problem. It’s a completely unfounded comment, but for some strange reason I get a little kick out of picturing his participation in wild nights with bikie gang members. Perhaps they listen to the best of guns and roses in the garage whilst wrapping up arms deals over bourbon on ice. Such ridiculous antics would somehow justify any delayed payments, in my mind at least.

Rewind 3 years, and I recall another role in yet another company. Its saving grace was the handful of colourful characters with whom I shared my working week, not to mention its London base. I distinctly remember one lunch time farewell getting a tad out of control. Enjoying each others company so much and not wanting the unopened bottles of wine to go to waste, we adjourned to the basement level server room. The Head of IT pulled out a guitar from thin air and we lost a few hours of our life singing along to some golden oldies. It’s strange the way these time warps can end so abruptly. I suddenly looked at my watch and realised that the powers that be were returning from a meeting, I scurried upstairs and feeling like a bull in a China shop, I not so daintily eased my way past the boss’s desk. How is it that you can hear a pin drop in an office as soon as you are pissed as a parrot? I contemplated the second floor resident alcoholic’s strategy. He started early and drank his spirits slowly from a tea cup whilst waiting for retirement. Rule number 3: stay seated.

No comments:

Post a Comment