17 February 2012

LA PUZZA - DAY 48


Some months back I met my first Argentinean. It’s funny how you always remember your first representative of a foreign country, somehow we tend to stereotype the remaining population based on that initial acquaintance, whether right or wrong. Anyway, I’m going to cut a long story short because to be frank, I’m rather tired but must be back by popular demand. For the sake of this story I will call him Gerardo, that is not his real name because I can not for the life of me recall it. I’m partially lazy at remembering people tags and also tend to get overwhelmed by the introduction experience that they quite often escape me. So Gerardo informed me that 2 years earlier, in his quest to start a healthier life and a small family, he went all cold turkey on the alcohol front. Not regretting his decision one bit and in fact, claiming that he would never drink again, he noted that the one thing that drove him nuts was the stench of booze on his wife.

I have quietly pondered this comment for the last 48 days. Refraining from the delights of champagne for 100 days is one thing, but to really believe it has no place in your life….FOREVER…is an entirely different idea.

Tonight, in an effort to expand my cultural horizons, I spent 2 ½ hours watching a fabulous play, a comedy surrounding a teenage girl with cancer. Not much of an oxymoron there! Unfortunately, my friend and I were wedged between a bottle shop and a garbage truck. Gerardo had a good point it seems because, for the very first time, I felt repulsed by the smell of alcohol wafting off another’s breath.  In moments like these you simply must question the benefits of paying for the privilege to sit in close proximity to a bunch of strangers with questionable personal hygiene. Walking home, I passed the Crown Street bars and felt no desire to mingle with the masses. I have lost all enthusiasm to talk a load of hogswallop with people who won’t even remember the conversation once they wake up the following afternoon. That was me once. I honestly don’t know at this point what lies at the end of this journey.  Nothing is forever they say, a strangely comforting yet disturbing notion.



No comments:

Post a Comment